The saying goes, “To get over your ex get under your next,” but is moving on from your relationship really that easy? For many guys the answer is a resounding no. It doesn’t matter if you do the breaking up or she does. If you want to move on then you have to take specific action. Otherwise, you will end up in a dangerous relationship limbo where you won’t be able to get over your ex or get her back.
Male Health Facts has three ways to answer How to Get Over Your Ex , plus one bonus way to win her back. After all, it’s good to have options!
How to Get Over Your Ex – Social Media
One of the hardest temptations to resist is looking up your Ex on social media. Unlike texting or calling your ex, she doesn’t even need to know you can see what she is doing, much less respond. What might start out as an innocent late night thought can quickly spiral into drama.
Here’s what to do:
- Block her ASAP: This is critical. If you truly want to get over you ex then you must remove any way for you to contact one another. You want to resist the temptation of following her life without you in it. You are no longer on the same path and need to make a clear stance into singlehood.
- Remove nonessential mutual friends: If you have friends on your Facebook that you met through her and who you don’t have an established and close relationship with just delete or block them too. It’s one thing to keep friends in common in your social circles, but if all you have in common is her then you need to move on.
How to Get Over Your Ex – Phone and Text
In extreme cases, you will need to put a complete block in place and get a new phone number and email address. You or she may have a moment of weakness and look beyond social media to make contact. Be sure to tell any mutual friends that your number is to remain private.
Here’s what to do:
- Pick a deadline to cut contact: Turning your current phone number off can be impractical at best and accusatory at worst. Instead, agree to a cutoff date with your ex so that you can each get your affairs in order. It will give you each a clear timeframe to put a close to the relationship.
- Do not give in: Once the block is in place it is critical that you do not contact her. This will undo all the hard work you have done to get over your ex.
How to Get Over Your Ex – Friends And Family
Removing mutual connections on social media is one thing, but it can be much harder to do in real-life if you have a close connection. The trick here is to exercise caution and talk with the people who may be in both of your lives before taking any action. After all, these people want the best for you both and will appreciate understanding how they can help you get over your ex.
- Do not pick sides: The unfortunate truth is they may tell you one thing and do another – as they have you both in their hearts. Instead, ask for space until you are at peace with the decision to break up and can confidently be around them without feeling you need to avoid talking about the elephant in the room.
- Encourage them to stay in touch with her: Similarly, encourage friends and family to stay in touch with her but explain why you would respectfully like to remain distanced. If they understand you genuinely don’t want to get in the way of what they have, and only want to get over your ex, then chances are they will help you accomplish your goals.